Wednesday 27 February 2008

A Sharp piece of Yorkshire eccentricity


To avoid detaining you too long, I didn't mention in my last blog that I'd just returned from the dentist in Leeds after having a tooth pulled.

These are never the most pleasurable of occasions but, moments before climbing into the scary chair, I did have time for a grin.

I was waiting in the reception area with only the nice lady behind the counter for company when the door swung open and in walked a family of husband, wife and two boys in their early teens.

"Sharp's the name," announced the father of the party before they all sat down around me complete with nervous smiles.

I couldn't resist. "So, do you all have an appointment?" I asked, well aware that the answer was none of my business.

"We do indeed," announced a very pleasant Mr S, "I reckon they're bound to give us a discount one day if we all come together."

"So it's a regular thing, then?" I continued.

"It is," he replied. "Every six months. Then we all go out for a Chinese to treat ourselves." The other three Sharps nodded and smiled in confirmation.

"So, who gets to go first?" I enquired. We were getting on famously by now.

"Me," boomed the father. "I'm the most scared so I insist on going first." Again, the rest of the clan nodded and smiled.

"Mr White, you can go up now," said the receptionist. Suddenly reality returned as the reason for my visit clunked me between the eyes (well, yanked me by the tooth to be completely accurate) and I was off.

Twenty minutes later I walked back down to reception, with blood on my lips and my mouth stuffed full of gauze. As I paid, I looked across up at the Sharps.

The smiles had gone, although hopefully not for long.

No comments: