Monday 14 April 2008

Mission accomplished


It's done.

I crossed the finishing line yesterday afternoon in four hours, 20 minutes and one second exactly and for the last ten miles it hurt like hell. But, to my mind, surely that just reinforces why the race is worth doing; if it was easy, what would be the point in you sponsoring me?!

All the things you hear and read about the wonderful atmosphere are absolutely true. The spectators are lined three and four deep around almost the entirety of the course and it does make a huge difference when things get tough.

Although, despite the huge crowds and the vast number of runners, I was still reminded of what a small world we live in. Seconds after crossing the finish line and getting my medal, the first person I bumped into was Clare Johnston, landlady of my local bar back in Coleraine! Brilliant.

Most importantly, all the money that has been so kindly pledged and donated over the last few months can now be rightfully claimed on Sebastian's behalf and given to the two nominated charities.

The total currently stands at over £5,200 and I know there's still a bit more to come in yet. Indeed, Sebastian and his little sister Katie raised more than £100 themselves with a bucket collection in their own street on Saturday afternoon.

I spoke to him straight after the race and said that the medal was safely around my neck. However, when I go across to Northern Ireland in May to join him in presenting the cheque to Heartbeat, it will be placed around his. That is where I intend to leave it.

Thank you to everybody who has helped the two of us in any way over the last few months. It has been an incredible journey and hopefully, as a result of your enormous generosity, we will be able to do some good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on making it to the finish line captain. Good effort!

Anonymous said...

Well done Barry. Tried to ring you this morning but you were probably asleep. Are your toe nails black? Gillian xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Barry, Mike told us yesterday that you had managed to complete the race. Well done. See you soon. Chris, Helen, Benjamin and Caitlin Depledge.

Anonymous said...

Well done young man - I will donate some money - even though you still havent bought my book you tight git !