Wednesday 9 April 2008

There's always someone worse off than yourself


The training is finally at an end.

All that's left now is a brisk 26.2 mile cruise around London on Sunday morning and the job's a good 'un.

Which brings me to Jordan.

If ever there was someone in need of proper support, it's her. And I now have every sympathy for the girl (come on, hear me out!)

As a result of my unfortunate collision with a Rottweiler in Bradford last year, I've been wearing quite a heavy support on my right knee throughout my training.

Then, in January, I developed pain in my left foot and have had to strap it up ever since. Three weeks ago, the arch of my right foot started to hurt. Cue some more strapping. And finally, the Saturday before last, my left knee "went" - and a support was found for that too.

Up until the short training session I've just finished, I was hoping to only wear a light strapping on my right knee for the race itself and nothing else (other than my vest and shorts, you understand - there'll be children present. Plus, despite the obvious similarities between the two of us, I'm not actually Jordan). But the pain is still there in my other knee and both feet - and my right knee is actually sorer now than it's been for months.

I also heard some man on the radio this morning saying he was determined to cross the finish line on Sunday even if he had to use his eyelids. But given the amount of money I've had to spend on running shoes over the last few months, I'd prefer to complete the distance on my feet. Oh, and I'd like to retain just a hint of dignity if at all possible. So loads of strapping it will have to be.

At least I can console myself with the knowledge that, once the race is over, I can throw my supports away.

Poor, misunderstood, victimised Jordan doesn't have that luxury - at least until after her next reduction surgery planned for June (according to my sources).

The freak!

No comments: