Sunday 9 March 2008

The Caped Crusader swoops in


Five weeks 'til race day and a weekend visitor has just departed.

John Fulton, best man at my wedding almost three years ago and best mate for as long as I can remember, arrived on Friday and is now en route back to Cardiff where he currently works for the BBC.

We went to school together in Coleraine and despite the fact that we've lived in various different locations since those distant days, we've managed to remain in close touch throughout.

And as ever when he arrives for a weekend in Yorkshire, we didn't see much of it.

He met me straight from work in Bradford where we went directly to the pub until shortly before closing time and then taxied home for a pizza.

To his great surprise, I was up early yesterday morning as I said I would be (I'm doing the London Marathon you know) and ran ten miles as planned. Then it was back-to-back rugby and football on the telly before food was served and more drink was drunk - we never left the house.

Then today it was a pub lunch and away for him (and shortly off to bed for me).

Not a sophisticated weekend I'm sure you'll agree but unfortunately very much what's expected when we get together. Most importantly, it was a laugh.

Tomorrow reality - and the training programme - returns with a vengeance.

And yes, that is us dressed as Batman and Robin.

No comments: