Wednesday 19 March 2008

Testing the vest


Among the many pieces of advice you receive in the official London Marathon magazine is to try out your race day kit in training to check it's comfy (or words to that effect).

The one piece I hadn't tried out so far (everything else seems comfy enough) was my vest which is understandable as I've only just bought it.

As you'll see in the pic above (and no that's not me in it), it's a bit dull at the moment. However, I have big plans.

Once I'm finished, it will have my name and the Heartbeat logo on the front with Sebastian's name and the Children's Heart Surgery Fund logo on the back. My mother is sewing on the logos this weekend (that's what mothers do!) after she's cut them off the respective tee shirts I've been given by the charities. (I wonder if Lewis Hamilton's mum has to do this with sponsors' logos every time he gets new overalls. I would say yes).

My new friend Liz is then hopefully getting her friend in Portrush to do the names. (The race organisers suggest you put your name on the front of your vest so the crowd can shout for - or at - you, their choice). Meanwhile, having Sebastian's name on the back is something I want to do for obvious reasons.

I wore my virgin vest on a six mile run tonight and can confirm that it is indeed comfy. No doubt you'll all be relieved at that news.

The next step is to wash it a couple of times to "soften it" (according to the advice) before I take it to Northern Ireland on Saturday for tarting up.

So there you are, ladies and gentlemen, that's my vest. Exciting stuff. No, really.

No comments: